Monday, September 25, 2006

Not quite ready yet

Well as one gets older one gets more cautious! so I'll leave it for a bit before sticking my name on the blog.

I'm just in this new job, so will see the lay of the land before. There's no escape from controversy in economic development! well not really!

Did anyone who reads this go to IEDC conference in NYC? if so let me know how it was. I went to last year's conference in Chicago and it was a blast.

I am currently looking into economic performance and growth, and trying to get behind the academic stuff that's published, usually by geographers, that somewhat misrepresents economics. Its funny because I did both economics and geography at University. But the academic stuff on regions and cities isn't as good as I'd hoped. I keep going back to OECD stuff, Krugman, and Porter for inspiration. too much academic debate is preoccupied with supply side of economic performance, not enough about demand side. e.g. lagging regions for me are so much about insufficient demand-side activities (e.g. the businesses that employ people). Too much on skills provision - which in itself is not the answer. comments and thoughts welcome - share your insights
Ah well back to the reading.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more - i think you;re familiar with Futureskills Scotland's work which essentially says "skills are brill, it's demand that crap in the Scottish economy".

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home